The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring effective and accountable finance and operations systems are implemented in the EAI Nigeria Country office. S/he will ensure EAI-Nigeria achieves its programmatic objectives by ensuring financial and procurement management systems are robust and effectively functioning with strong internal controls; develop staff capacity; and ensure compliance with donor regulations, EAI policies and local law. The Finance and Operations Manager will also provide substantial support to the Nigeria Country Director and Program Manager in the financial oversight and operational planning required for collaborative and adaptive project work planning, implementation, and achievement of project deliverables. As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, in the absence of the Country Director, the Finance and Operations Manager will provide substantial support and oversight to the implementation of activities and supervision of all Kano office staff. The Finance and Operations Manager supervises a Finance Assistant, and directly reports to the EAI Nigeria Country Director, while closely coordinating with the Home Office Project Management Unit (PMU), and Director of Finance and Operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Financial Management and Reporting:
- Oversee appropriate financial management and controls of the EAI Nigeria office to safeguard assets through efficient and effective financial functions.
- Prevent fraud through the development and implementation of relevant control systems/mechanisms, per EAI policies. Improve on existing fraud prevention mechanisms in coordination with EAI HQ
- Responsible for reporting any incidents of fraud, waste, or abuse to the EAI Nigeria Country Director and/or EAI HQ
- Monitor financial program implementation, ensuring compliance with EAI policies and donor regulations
- Work closely with the programs team to ensure activities are realistically budgeted for and sufficient funds are available to adequately carry them out
- Supervise the preparation and processing of monthly payroll and ensure its accuracy and compliance with the local labor laws
- Maintain financial records including ledger, journal, petty cash and cash books and bank details. Manage receivables and payables in line with EAI policies.
- Prepare monthly funds requests in a timely fashion, ensuring they are in line with country office projections
- Develop and maintain budget codes for projects in coordination with EAI HQ Finance team
- Review and approve monthly QuickBooks reports before submitting to EAI Headquarters.
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of financial reports to EAI Headquarters. This includes monthly country office financial reports and reconciliation of accounts, fund requests, and asset inventory reports.
- Accompanied by the programs team, conduct detailed monthly reviews of funds expended and adjust financial and programmatic planning for subsequent months
- In coordination with EAI HQ Finance and Operations Team and PMU, conduct periodic country audits to support and oversee the quality of financial reporting and procurement processes, as well as accounting management systems.
Financial Planning and Budgeting:
- Responsible for the overall quality of project budget monitoring, managing staff billability, invoices, subcontractor costs, expense reports, etc. in compliance with donor and EAI policies.
- In coordination with the Country Director and EAI Headquarters, develop, maintain and ensure accuracy of the country office budget and projections, taking into consideration costs necessary for the country office operation, funding in-hand, and any funding gaps, updating on a monthly basis.
- Compare project budgets against payroll, ensuring salaries are correctly allocated and budgeted to each budget
- In close coordination with the Country Director and Program Manager, review project budgets against workplans to ensure consistency against funds requests, projections, and country office budget
Quality Procurement & Logistics Management:
- Ensure adherence to EAI and donor policies and procedures in all areas relating to procurement, logistics, and inventory management
- Ensure absolute integrity and transparency in the procurement process
- Maintain and update the Nigeria procurement manual in coordination with EAI HQ PMU and Finance and Operations Team
- Oversee requests for proposals/quotations and participate in subsequent review processes by developing, reviewing and revising budgets
- Negotiate with vendors to ensure requirements are met in a cost effective and timely manner.
- Oversee the collection of bids, formulate bid comparison matrices and vendor selection recommendations in accordance with donor regulations and EAI policies and procedures.
- Ensure inventory is kept up to date and oversee quarterly inventory control
- Assess grantee and vendor financial and management capacity and propose strategies to ensure smooth implementation and build capacity.
- Ensure grantees and sub-contractors receive and understand relevant policies, procedures and reporting requirements.
- Archive grant awards and sub-contracts ensuring implementation documents, including clearances, agreements and contracts, amendments and final reports are complete and accurate. Ensure approvals are obtained per the EAI Schedule of Authorities
- Manage the logistics of visitors to the country office
- Manage vehicle administration to ensure proper upkeep of vehicles, cost optimization, proper maintenance and usage as per EAN policies. Ensure logbooks are accurate to have complete transparency in its usage. Timely insure all hired vehicles as per established procedures.
Human Resources Management and Office Administration:
- Guarantee EAI remains compliant with Nigeria Labor Laws in collaboration with the organization’s lawyer
- Review and provide recommendations for enhancements on Human Resource manuals.
- Oversee office human resources, including the recruitment and hiring of staff and consultants, performance reviews, collection of timesheets, and record keeping
- Maintain oversight of holiday planning, sick leave and contract liquidations in accordance to local law. Share monthly updates of payroll and leave tracker with EAI HQ
- Oversee personnel filing systems and benefits tracking procedures established by EAI and ensure compliance with the Human Resources Manuals.
- Ensure compliance with local labor laws and EAI policies with regards to staff management, travel, and administration.
- Monitor staff Contract Expiry date and ensure timely completion of Contract renewal and other formalities
- Work with Country Director and Finance and Administration staff to ensure that country registrations are maintained and renewed as necessary and that all reporting required to local and national government is performed correctly and on time
Operational Capacity Building:
- Provide ongoing mentorship and support for finance and administration staff in Nigeria.
- Organize ongoing trainings for new and existing EAI Nigeria staff and partners to enhance reporting quality and compliance with donor and Equal Access policies.
- Provide technical advice to managers and other colleagues on finance, procurement and logistics policies and procedures, to improve the budgeting and planning processes.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven (7) years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage
- Minimum 7 years of work experience with US Government or EU-funded programs at the national and/or international level. Experience should be related to senior levels of Finance and Operations Manager.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with a non-profit, simultaneously managing several donors and/or multiple project budgets
- Demonstrated experience with QuickBooks
- Prior experience in a supervisory position
- Prior experience directly managing and implementing projects will be a distinct advantage
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent English writing skills, fluent in Hausa
- Ability to work flexibly, outside of normal office hours and in difficult condition
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)