Location: Abuja, Nigeria (temporarily work-from-home due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, until it is safe to work from PAD’s office)
Start date: As soon as possible
- We are looking for a driven, creative and independent person to join a high-performing, flexible team as an Agronomist to support PAD’s new operations in Nigeria.
- You will work in a non-hierarchical team and have opportunities to work closely with PAD staff and substantially contribute to PAD’s programs that test new ideas, measure their impacts, and scale them up.
- The Agronomist will be responsible to provide ongoing agronomic expertise and support to PAD’s operations in Nigeria.
- The Agronomist will report to the Nigeria Research and Operations Manager and will work with the relevant Program Leads and project team members.
- The position will be located in Abuja, Nigeria and will temporarily be a work-from-home position due to the current COVID-19 pandemic.
- When it is safe to do so, this position will be based from PAD’s office in Abuja, Nigeria and will require frequent travel to field locations in Nigeria. PAD is a start-up organization and will require flexibility from all staff with regards to roles and responsibilities.
The Agronomist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Work closely with PAD team members and our partner organizations to execute project implementation;
- Provide overall agronomy expertise and information to the team in Nigeria;
- Gather and compile scientific evidence on key agriculture topics to better inform the design of mobile phone-based agricultural advisory services in Nigeria;
- Collect and maintain an extensive database of all major crops in Nigeria, and map out season-wise and territory-wise crop prospects;
- Support current projects that PAD undertakes in content development, simplification, and customization with regard to major agronomic practices, pest and disease management, post-harvest management, etc;
- Develop, refine and revise agronomic content of mobile phone-based agricultural advisory services implemented by PAD and/or other partners;
- In collaboration with partner organizations and PAD staff, the Agronomist will be responsible for exploring new engagement areas and new project opportunities;
- Support and supervise other (junior) agronomist staff within the team;
- Provide support in managing relationships with key partners across multiple projects and provide technical backstopping to partner organizations;
- Contribute to project M&E activities, including designing of monitoring tools, regular fieldwork to collect monitoring data, and preparation of monitoring reports.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in agronomy, agricultural sciences, crop production or agroecology;
- At least 5 years’ experience implementing agriculture, livelihood or value chain development projects in the developing world;
- At least 2 years’ experience working directly with smallholder production systems in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Practical experience drafting agricultural curricula and implementing trainings;
- Experience carrying out focus group discussions and gathering qualitative data from farmers;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Experience in writing reports and communicating scientific topics to laypeople;
- Willingness and ability to work under tight timelines, and flexibility to engage in multiple projects;
- Willingness to travel to field sites in Nigeria and internationally;
- Ability to work independently and with minimum supervision;
- Experience and ability to work in multicultural settings;
- Ability to engage effectively with diverse stakeholders.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
Our preferred candidates are likely to have some, but not all, of the following qualifications:
- Knowledge of the Nigeria agricultural sector.
- Commensurate with experience