Time Requirements: The time requirements for the above-mentioned positions are a minimum of 3 hours or more daily, 15 or more hours in a week.
Benefits of the Internship
- Free trainings/sponsored courses
- Sponsored professional membership certificate/induction
- Letter of commendation/recommendation and any other incentive as may be decided
- Valuable work experience and exposure to the global best practices in the sector
- Network with professionals in the field and exposure to our UN partner’s project
- Transition into a job/building job career in the humanitarian sector
Reports to: Registrar or Programs Officer/Coordinator
To ensure that IHSD has effective internal and external communications processes, which maintain coherence inside the organization and raise the profile of the organization externally in ways that are consistent with project brand.
Working Relationships: The Communication Officer will report directly to the Registrar or Program Officer/Coordinator.
Key Task and Responsibilities:
Production and dissemination of organizational public relations materials: The Communications Officer has overall responsibility for developing and maintaining materials, using diverse media to effectively communicate IHSD’s mission, vision and main messages to key audiences and stakeholders, staff members and community beneficiaries. Precisely, the Communication Officer will do the following:
- Contributes to the development and implementation of a plan to successfully promote IHSD’s programs and services
- Coordinate the development of Annual Reports with support from the Registrar and contribute to the development of its content.
- Coordinates the production of IHSD quarterly newsletter and other general updates according to the communication, humanitarian, and advocacy objectives. For this purpose, gathers information (including interviews) with staff, partners, and beneficiaries.
- Packages and disseminates IHSD’s reports, case studies, tools and other materials to maximize their use.
- Maintains an updated database and internal communication system and ensure that training and other activities of IHSD are given widest social medial publicity.
- Website Management: The Communications Officer has overall responsibility for managing the IHSD’s website along with other IT providers. This will include:
- Update the content of the website monthly to ensure dissemination of the organizational progress and achievement
- Work with other units and teams to update all IHSD’s in content development for upload on the website.
- Setting targets, monitoring and reporting on website usage and provide reports to the Registrar on a bi-annual basis.
- Monitoring the implementation of content and branding guidelines.
- Liaising with webmaster as required.
- Proactively seeking new resources where IHSD and its work should feature.
Relations with Media: The Communications Officer will work collaboratively and develop other appropriate approaches towards the achievement of IHSD’s strategic targets as follows:
Develop and maintain a detailed database of media organizations including print, radio and TV media outlets.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication channels with mass media representatives, news services, editors, etc. to encourage accurate and favorable reporting of IHSD’s activities.
- Source and secure media opportunities for IHSD to showcase its work during key commemoration days such as International Humanitarian Day, Children’s Day; International Women’s Day; 16th Days of Activism; International Youth Day etc.
- Prepare news releases and other public briefing notes in relation to key developments in IHSD’s work
- Coordinate with state office level staff regarding local level communication and advocacy activities; distribute materials to media and coordinate timely responses to media requests
- Coordinate media exposure at IHSD’s funded or supported events in collaboration with staff leading on the content of the events.
- Mentor other IHSD staff, providing advice and ideas for how to more effectively incorporate media approaches in relevant projects;
- Represent IHSD at relevant meetings and events.
- Social Media Engagement: The communications officer will work with individual staff to increase IHSD’s social media presence to ensure improvements and remain useful to our stakeholders.
- Develop creative content for posting on IHSD’s facebook and other accounts
- Update all social media outlet at least twice a day with routine information about IHSD’s activities
- Respond to comments and request coming from social media postings
- During special events coordinate the use of social media for reporting on the activities with other individual staff
- A B.Sc or HND in Mass Communication or Media Studies
- At least 1-3 years’ experience in similar position
- Highly organized and detail orientated.
- Can work under intense pressure without losing focus.
- Strong skills in time management and ability to meet tight deadlines
- Self-motivated and can work with minimum supervision
- Extensive writing ability
- Excellent Oral communication skills
- Can work with a team to deliver positive results
- Strongly believes in and willing to uphold human rights values and positive youth development
Interested and qualified individuals should send their CV and written application highlighting their skills and previous experiences (as one Microsoft attachment) to: email@example.com, on or before 25th June 2020. Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for Interview which will be conducted by the end of the month. Selected candidates should be ready to resume work immediately.