Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports to: Chief Commercial Officer (CCO)
- As a key strategic member of the 54gene team, the Director of Business Development combines sound scientific knowledge with expert business acumen to support corporate growth and development and creation of long-term value for the 54 gene company.
- S/he supports top management by identifying and providing analysis for evaluating new business opportunities including expansion of sales channels for diagnostics, licensing, and collaborations, which may include insurers, banks, pharmacies, research/universities, small start-up companies, and large pharma
- The Director of Business Development, sources and evaluates partnership opportunities, coordinates cross-functional evaluation and diligence teams, and negotiates partnership agreements
- The Director of Business Development will play a key role in establishing the company as a leader in diagnostics in Africa through the execution of deals that further the company’s strategic goals and vision.
Business Development Strategy:
- Develop and lead business development strategy efforts and searching priorities in alignment with 54gene’s goals for the diagnostics business, to support long-term growth
- Coordinate stakeholders across the company and externally to understand and support key business development needs, identifying gaps in current capabilities and strengths
- Drive the identification of high impact external scientific innovation in the diagnostics business.
- Actively source opportunities via internal and external networking, attending scientific sessions, monitoring of pipelines, news, and other sources such as KOLs and industry leaders
- Lead efforts to business development opportunities in support of the diagnostics business, including licenses, partnerships and collaborations, support long-range planning with business case analyses
- Facilitate scientific evaluations by leading or supporting cross-functional and cross-divisional teams that include representation from multiple functional areas
- Manage technical due diligence to ensure a detailed understanding of the potential and the risks of each opportunity and define the business parameters around potential deals
- Provide recommendations and guidance to senior leadership, and ensure robust and efficient decision-making processes; prepare reports and updates
- Work closely with other Business Development functions to ensure appropriate deal structures and valuations are achieved
- Build consensus for deal rationale among stakeholders and senior leaders.
- Reach out externally and internally to share 54gene’s Business Development vision for Diagnostics
- Communicate the company’s Diagnostics services to potential clients and collaborators; act as marketing arm to explain 54gene to different markets
- Support CEO in relationship management and deals with KOL and important clients
- Cultivate and engage new corporate partnerships, in support of growing the Diagnostics Business.
- Lead structuring, negotiating and closing of agreements and licenses.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong understanding of diagnostics and science, including molecular diagnostics and global business of molecular diagnostics
- Proven track record of negotiating and closing business agreements
- Strong presentation skills, proven ability to communicate with diverse audiences, internally and externally
- Ability to interface effectively with all-levels of staff across differing functional expertise within the organization, including Commercial, Legal, Medical/Science, and Finance
- Superior interpersonal skills, with emphasis on relationship building and networking
- Creative, entrepreneurial thinker with ability to see opportunities where others may not and think creatively on behalf of (potential) clients
- Strong influencing skills and talent for building consensus
- Strong leadership skills with ability to drive teams to decisions
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational abilities with keen attention to detail
- Capable of managing projects and deadlines with autonomy
- Ability to thrive in a complex, cross-functional and science-driven environment
- Cross-cultural competency; ability to work with a diverse, global team
- English fluency; fluency in French is a plus.
Education & Certifications
- Master’s Degree in Biology or Life Sciences related field; PhD preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Sales, Marketing or related Degree preferred; Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA), or related field strongly preferred
- 5-8+ years of diagnostics, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical industry experience,
- 3-5+ years of experience in business development and licensing
- Experience with identifying commercial opportunities in diagnostics, partnerships and deal-making with large companies
- Experience in market research, preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly changing entrepreneurial environment; experience in rapidly growing companies, preferred
- Experience working in a company based in multiple locations, preferred; global experience a plus.
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- Valid international travel documentation
- U.S. domestic and international travel maybe required.