Reports to: Country Manager, Nigeria
Directly supervises: Logistics Manager(s) / Associate(s)
- The Director of Supply Chain Operations and Logistics (SCO) serves a key leadership role in coordinating the Nigeria-based operations of 54gene.
- The SCO Director leads all Supply Chain Management and Logistics duties including the materials, equipment and supply forecasting per established production goals and targets, the establishment and monitoring of best practices, vendor management, supply planning and procurement, quality assurance of inbound supplies, materials and equipment and inventory management.
- The SCO Director will also lead the 54gene team in the application of supply chain best practices, processes and tools to maximize business performance, capacity and efficiency, including spearheading the research, selection, set-up and optimization an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software platform to integrate critical business planning and process/project management functions. In addition, the SCO will provide supply chain management support to other 54gene global locations as needed.
- The SCO Director also assists the Country Manager (CM) with planning and oversight of daily operations and workflows in Nigeria. S/he will support the CM to monitor service level agreements, ensure regulatory requirements are met, and develop in continuous improvement programs for maximized efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and quality of 54gene’s services.
Supply Chain Management (General & Inbound):
- Assist the Country Manager in Operations Management of Nigeria-based, operations, including:
- Planning and budgeting activities;
- Monitoring service-level agreements;
- Development of onsite continuous improvement programs to meet safety, quality, productivity, delivery, and cost expectations;
- Ensure all regulatory requirements are met
- Implement industry best practices for all 54gene supply chain activities
- Drive financial performance of business units by identifying risks and opportunities in the supply chain, troubleshooting issues and recommending solutions
- Create supply plans; forecast appropriately to ensure adequate supplies at all times to meet operations plans and goals, minimize shortages, and maximize cost efficiencies
- Source raw materials, equipment, products and services to support operations in Nigeria and other global sites, as needed; identify multiple suppliers/back-up suppliers for contingency planning or to meet peak demand times, as needed
- Initiate and monitor purchase orders; manage receipt of materials, consumables, supplies and equipment, ensuring match to purchase orders
- Coordinate and oversee delivery and logistics of materials supplies and equipment to all Nigerian operations, as well as other global 54gene sites as needed
- Oversee all vendor relationships:
- Evaluate and engage suppliers and vendors per approved vendor policies;
- Complete external partner capacity assessments;
- Oversee inbound supply orders for accuracy of product, quality, on-time delivery; manage any issue resolution with vendors/suppliers
- Keep abreast of any changes in regulatory requirements that may impact supply chain availability, and/or distribution
- Analyze supply chain expenditures and other financial information in conjunction with Financial Controller in order to develop plans, policies, and budgets for increasing profits and improving services
- Oversee inventory management and warehousing:
- Find ways to reduce waste, maximize inventory controls;
- Oversee quality control of incoming products, equipment, materials and services;
- Ensure that reporting of all physical/cycle inventory results are timely, accurate and consistent with corporate policies and generally accepted accounting principles
- Co-create, update and maintain standard business operation procedures (SOPs) and work instructions (process flow diagrams and instructional guides) for critical production planning and supply chain management activities
- Prepare and communicate regular operations and project-based reports and updates to key partners including senior management
- Coordinate supply chain functions with other functional areas as needed, including sales, marketing, finance, IT, laboratory/clinical operations for planning, procurement, quality assurance, warehousing and inventory management as needed.
Supply Chain Management (Outbound):
- In partnership with warehouse staff, coordinate distribution activities to clients and resolution of issues as required
- Responsible for all transportation and logistics as required to support the shipment of licensed product (e.g. consumer testing kits) as well as other materials
- Facilitate sales and operations planning (S&OP) based on 54gene’s product demand
- Ensure maximum compliance with current supply chain practices and related regulations
- Oversee 3rd party Freight/Logistics partners to ensure service and spend is appropriately delivered per supply chain plans and goals
- Manage the transportation operations to meet or exceed our customers’ requirements
- Establish and oversee trade compliance for commercial product distribution with all local and international requirements and regulations.
Supply Chain ERP Set-up & Optimization:
- Participate in the development of a strategic roadmap for integrated business planning capabilities, including managing the supply chain processes electronically (i.e. inventory planning, capacity planning, dashboard and analytics)
- Lead the process to research and potentially select a project management / planning platform (i.e. ERP system)
- Set up the ERP system aligned to 54gene’s business operations and process management, in collaboration with Finance, IT/IS and Engineering staff, and senior leadership
- Ensure ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software tools are optimized, including detailed scheduling, purchase orders, process orders, recipes and bill of materials, change orders; automate and coordinate processes to minimize or eliminate manual processes
- Lead in the development and ongoing improvement of the platform to meet 54gene’s planning and project/process management needs as the company grows and evolves.
Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Operations or Supply Chain Management, Life Sciences or Engineering
- Master’s Degree in Supply Chain Management, Business Administration (MBA), or related Degree is a plus
- Supply Chain management related certification a plus, e.g. IBF (Institute for Business Forecasting and Planning) or ASCM/ APICS (Association for Supply Chain Management), CPM (Certified Purchasing Manager), CPSM (Certified Professional in Supply Management), CPIM (Certification in Production and Inventory Management), or CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional).
- 8+ years of operations leadership experience in biotechnology or pharmaceutical field
- 7+ years minimum experience in logistics, supply chain, and/or distribution management in a biotechnology, pharmaceutical or related healthcare industry; experience in contract manufacturing setting preferred
- Prior experience working within a regulated environment
- Demonstrated experience in a continuous improvement role utilizing tools, methodologies and change management (i.e. Lean, Six Sigma)
- Demonstrated experience in forming, leading, managing and facilitating highly collaborative teams
- Experience with global import and export controls is a strong plus
- Prior Cold Chain distribution experience is a plus
- Government regulatory agency inspections experience preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a fast-paced, swiftly changing entrepreneurial environment; experience in rapidly growing companies, preferred; biotech start-up experience a plus
- Experience working in a company based in multiple locations, preferred; global experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Good understanding of intersection of operations, finance, sales and supply chain
- Exceptional skills in project management, including planning, budgeting and meeting deadlines; any familiarity with Lean / Agile / Six Sigma concepts is a strong plus
- Excellent supply chain management skills including forecasting, cost accounting, logistics, and e-business/e-procurement
- Excellent working knowledge of material handling processes, procedures, and systems/tools/software
- Knowledge of import/export processes
- Strong financial aptitude and math skills, including command of algebra
- Ability to interpret data (data analysis) and draw conclusions for strategic action
- Strong creative and resourceful problem-solving skills; sound judgment
- Ability to successfully collaborate cross-functionally with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization, including researchers, clinicians, technical personnel, vendors, and customers/clients
- Superior interpersonal skills, with emphasis on relationship building and networking
- High level of written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills
- Working knowledge of KPIs, business performance/operations metrics
- Strong scientific aptitude/understanding; working knowledge of the life sciences, biotechnology and/or genomics, strongly preferred
- Expert proficiency with MS Office systems and Google Suite applications
- Proficiency in spreadsheets, presentation and project management software
- Proficiency in an Enterprise Resource Planning software (e.g. SAP – Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing), including setting up and maximizing project management and supply chain features and tools, is a strong plus
- Excellent project management skills and ability to effectively balance multiple ongoing projects to meet deadlines
- Cross-cultural competency; ability to work with a diverse, global team
- English fluency; fluency in French is a plus.
- Authorization to work in Nigeria
- Valid international travel documentation.