Location: Cross River and Nassarawa
Group/Office: PDG (Program Delivery Group)
Dept/Unit: PDGGEN – Program Delivery Group
Project/Program: A576 – PMI – S
Reports To: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor
Number of Positions: 2
- PMI-S is a five-year PMI/USAID flagship malaria project implemented through a consortium led by MSH. The project is supporting the Government of Nigeria through its agencies at the federal, state, LGA and community levels to reduce under-five and maternal mortality by delivering quality services for management of malaria, its complications, and prevention.
- PMI-S project focuses on strengthening the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and State Malaria Elimination Programs (SMEPs) for the implementation of the National Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020.
- The Regional Senior Technical Advisor Surveillance, Monitoring & Evaluation/Health System Strengthening (SME/HSS) will provide technical leadership state M&E/HSS interventions in the region. S/he will also be responsible for supporting work planning activities at the state level, generating strategic data for program management, reporting, and documentation of best practices.
- The position holder will use analyzed and triangulated HMIS, LMIS, and surveillance data at strategic policy and management discussions to influence and guide HSS interventions in the states. S/he will build the capacity of SMEP in use of evidence to influence HRH, health financing, and service delivery system decisions.
- S/he will provide technical supervision for four M&E/HSS officers based in each region. Region one – Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi and Oyo states and region two Nassarawa, Plateau, Benue and Zamfara states.
- Provide technical guidance to SMEPs in the region in the planning and implementation of all M&E/HSS activities.
- Support state M&E/HSS Officers in the implementation of PMI4States state level M&E plans and work plan and reporting on program indicators and targets in collaboration with the State Coordinator.
- Support the states teams to establish systems for flow of information from service-delivery points to the PMI4States central database.
- Build capacity of SMEP and state DPRS in monitoring and evaluation, data analysis, data interpretation and data use to inform decisions and guide malaria interventions
- Participate in data quality review meetings at the state level.
- Work with state M&E/HSS Officer and SMEP to train health workers in the use of HMIS tools.
- Work with the State Coordinators in the implementation of selected health systems interventions including, for example, evidence-based state malaria annual operational plans (AOPs) to fit into state planning and budgeting cycle.
- Engage with the State DPRS, SPHCDA, and State Health Insurance Scheme to mainstream state malaria budgets in state government budget.
- Support state malaria partners to build an evidence base to monitor state malaria program performance towards elimination goals.
- Participate and provide technical input in state-level malaria program review meetings.
- Provide TA to the states in management of Malaria Data Repository at the state level, drawing from the national MDR instance; and promote dissemination of information to policy and decision makers through bulletins.
Qualifications and Experience
- Postgraduate degree in Social Sciences, Statistics, Epidemiology or related field with focus on generating and triangulating data to inform State health systems strengthening.
- Strong analytical, advocacy and program planning skills required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ hands-on monitoring & evaluation experience, with good understanding of health system strengthening at state or federal level.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in developing monitoring plans and/or management information systems 3 years of which spent working with NGOs in an African setting.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in malaria programs in Nigeria.
- Familiarity with USAID reporting systems highly desirable, particularly for malaria control.
- Excellent data analysis, presentation, use and reporting skills.
- Strong computer skills particularly in spreadsheets, database and statistical applications, including DHIS2 for data management.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to foresee problems and initiate appropriate action.
- Demonstrated experience in supervision and mentoring of staff at state level.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluency in English.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitation of training activities.
- Excellent organizational, inter-personal, multi-cultural and team building skills.