Location: Yola, Adamawa
The Academic Program
The University’s undergraduate and graduate programs are built around competitive admissions standards, and pedagogies aimed at critical thinking and problem-solving. The academic programs are built on the American style of education.
- The University has a Board of Trustees and a Governing Council. The Board of Trustees represents the owners of the University, while the Governing Council is responsible for the management of the University. The day-to-day running of the University’s activities is vested in the Vice-Chancellor / President.
- The Vice-Chancellor / President is the Chief Executive and Chief Academic Officer of the University.
Living in Yola, Nigeria:
- The University is in Yola, the capital of Adamawa State in northeast Nigeria, near the border with Cameroon. The estimated population of the Yola Jimeta area is about 392,000. The Lamido is the traditional, Islamic religious leader of the area.
- In accordance with the American University of Nigeria Bye-Laws 2020, the candidate must be a person of proven integrity, possess high moral character, be an excellent manager of financial and human resources, and a team player.
- He/she must be a person with proven leadership qualities and great inter-personal skills.
The Vice Chancellor / President shall:
- Excersisce general supervision over the daily running of the University
- Be an ex-officio member of the Governing Council
- Have a responsibility to the Council for efficient running of the Campus, maintaining good order and discipline of the University;
- Ensure that the provisions of the University’s Bye-Laws, Statutes, Policy and Procedures, and NUC Regulations are observed; and
- Be the Chair of the Universitys Senate, which is the highest decision making body for all Academic matters in the University;
- The job demands a person who can harness the modest financial resources generated by the University to full effect in running the University, and who is able to attract grants and donations from organizations, individual, corporate bodies and international Donor Agencies.
- The Candidate should be able to cope adequately with varying needs of staff, students and emerging contemporary challenges, especially those relating to social life of students.
The Position of Vice-Chancellor / President
- The Vice-Chancellor/President is a Principal Officer, as well as the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Academic Officer and Chief Image Maker of the University.
- The Vice Chancellor/President will therefore, be expected to provide Strategic Vision and Leadership, necessary to propel the University to national and global recognition.
- The Vice Chancellor/President must ensure that Standards do not fall, so that all the programs of the University that have received accreditations are sustained.
The Candidate Qualifications and Experience
- The emerging Vice Chancellor / President will have a duty to ensure that Standards do not fall in all Academic programs, especially in those programs that the University has created a niche, and is highly reputed.
- In addition, he/she must be capable of ensuring that new programs reach enviable heights such that Accreditation granted to all the programs of the University are sustained.
The criteria that each candidate for the post of the Vice-Chancellor / President, American University of Nigeria must meet are:
- The person must be a distinguished scholar who has earned a Ph.D. from an accredited institution and be an experienced faculty member at the current rank of Full Professor with several years of teaching and research in a University, additional experience in senior administration at the Dean level or above is also desired;
- An advocate for the AUN mission to provide high quality education, and can demonstrate proven ability to improve on the University’s American-style of education in a Nigerian setting;
- He/she must have National and International exposure on a global scale beyond Academics, and is capable of bringing the University to prominence.
- Be a tireless proponent of multicultural sensitivIty, who will bring an international outlook combined with genuine appreciation of the local culture, and who can manage available financial resources to full effect in running the University;
- The candidate must see fund-raising as a major strategy and is ready to engage and cultivate donors to attract grants for the financial sustainabillty of the University;
- The appointment is for a term of five (5) years only.
Remuneration of the Vice-Chancellor/President is competitive.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their detailed CV, providing information on
- Full Name
- Academic qualifications and distinctions [copies of certificates to be enclosed].
- Teaching, Research, Administrative and Managerial experience
- Membership of Academic and Professional Bodies
- Scholarly Publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Vision for the University in the next five  years (600 to 1,000 words)
- Names and Addresses of three  Referees who should be able to attest to the candidates standing, academic and managerial abilities, as well as morals, character, and integrity. These referees will be contacted at a later date, for candidates who advance to the semi-final stage of the search process, and with prior consent of the candidate before any referees are called.
Submission of Application
Candidate should submit the Application and all enclosed documents addressed to the “Pro- Chancellor, American University of Nigeria, Yola, to the “Registrar and the Secretary to the Governing Council of American University of Nigeria, Yola” electronically to: email@example.com.
Important Information & Notice
- All candidate applications will be kept in strict confidence until a later stage in the search process when finalists are identified.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview with the Search Committee at a DATE that will be duly AND formally conveyed to such candidates in writing.
For further information, or to nominate a candidate, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org