New York Academy of Sciences “1000 Girls, 1000 Futures” Program
The future of STEM is powered by women!
1000 Girls, 1000 Futures is a groundbreaking initiative designed to engage young women interested in science, technology, engineering, and math, and advance their pursuit of STEM careers through mentoring and 21st-century skills development.
WHO is this program for?
- Girls around the world, aged 13-17 years old currently enrolled in high school or an equivalent, who are enthusiastic about science, technology, engineering or math (STEM)
- Women working in STEM, across all disciplines and sectors, who are willing to act as mentors, coaches, and role models
WHAT is included in the program?
- Mentoring from real scientists and engineers in the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures network.
- Coursework, completed at your own pace, emphasizing college readiness, leadership, communication, and critical thinking.
- The opportunity to network with an awesome group of peers and female STEM professionals through social interaction, message boards, online events, and activities such as an optional Book Club. This is a safe, fun place to be a smart girl!
WHEN can I fit this into my schedule?
- Get help when you need it! You can connect with mentors at any time through our online platform.
- The coursework is independent and asynchronous, which means you complete some of the modules at your own pace
- You can engage with the network as often as you want—it’s a great way to make friends and gather resources!
WHERE does the program happen?
- All discussions, coursework, and networking takes place on Schoology.
WHY should I participate?
- Students and mentors not only gain access to an exclusive STEM network – they also receive a FREE 1-year membership to the New York Academy of Sciences!
HOW can you offer this program at no cost to all participants?
- This program is free because the New York Academy of Sciences believes in the expanded involvement of girls and women in STEM. We believe that layered mentoring from peers and relatable role models will bring important future scientists, mathematicians, technologists, engineers, innovators, and leaders into in the career pipeline. We believe that you can’t be what you can’t see, and we want to show you a wide variety of the girls and women who are already leaders across the spectrum of STEM specialties!
What you get from this program:
Access to female STEM leaders
You’ll get the chance to connect with women who have succeeded in STEM (and who want you to succeed, too). Our mentors can guide you on everything from college applications to career goals.
No need to meet with a mentor in person. Just reach out to mentors on our online platform and set a time that works for both of you to schedule a video chat.
A global network of amazing women
You have the chance to meet hundreds of girls and women who are as passionate about STEM as you are. Our online platform makes it easy to connect with all of them.
Applying is easy. Mentorship is free.
To get started in this mentorship program, all you have to do is:
- Click the “Apply Today!” button below.
- Create an account on the next page.
- Fill out and submit the application (please set aside 10-15 minutes to fill it out).
- Receive an email confirmation from us.
- Wait for us to pair you with your mentor! Note: it may take us a few weeks to match you with a mentor, so please be patient with us!
The future of STEM is powered by women.
Women are changing the world of STEM for the better, which is why we’re looking for passionate girls like you to learn from women in STEM. Even if you don’t know what your next steps are, our STEM mentor network can help you achieve your goals. Hear about Noor’s experience of 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures and how mentoring helped shape her future:
Here’s what’s in store in the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures program:
Power to transform
Encourage young women to pursue their passions in STEM no matter where they’re from as you help them navigate their career paths.
Convenient online mentoring
All you need is an internet connection and a desire to give back — you can mentor virtually from anywhere in the world.
We know you’re busy. That’s why we ask you touch base with students on our online platform just once a week!
You’re qualified to mentor if you…
- Are a woman who is a graduate student, postdoc, or professional working in a STEM-related field
- Can access at least one device with internet capabilities
- Communicate fluently and clearly in spoken and written English
- Have conducted scientific research in the past (preferred, but not required)
Getting started is easy.
After clicking the “Apply Today!” button below, you’ll:
- Create an account on the next page.
- Complete and submit an application (please set aside 15 minutes of your time).
- Hear back on the status of your application from us over email.
- Join our incredible community of female STEM superstars!
Application Link https://gsa.smapply.io/prog/mentor_/