UNA-USA 2020-2021 Youth Observer Application
About the UNA-USA Youth Observer Program:
The UNA-USA Youth Observer to the UN elevates youth voices in the global policy dialogue around international issues. For a one-year term, an American between the ages of 18-25 is selected to engage and connect young people in the U.S. to the work of the United Nations. The Youth Observer travels throughout the United States to discover the issues important to young Americans and participates as a UNA-USA delegate at UN conferences.
UNA-USA’s Youth Observer also attends UN briefings, organizes events, and participates in coalitions to support a strong U.S.-UN partnership. The most critical role of the Youth Observer is to engage young Americans in the work of the UN, empowering them to be active participants to foster a greater global impact.
We’re looking for a poised, internationally-engaged young American to fill this role for the 2020-2021 year. Qualified individuals are:
- Passionate and entrepreneurial about civic engagement, youth issues, and the United Nations
- Talented writers, capable of digesting complicated information and quickly turning around blog posts to inform other youth
- Social media savvy individuals with creative ideas for digital engagement
- Intellectually curious and able to have meaningful conversations with high-level individuals
- Experienced public speakers who are enthusiastic about engaging with young Americans
- Dedicated to making the world a better place
This position requires a commitment of approximately 8-10 hours a week and travel to New York City and Washington D.C. 4-5 times a year. As a nongovernmental organization, UNA-USA has special consultative status with the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, that enables a youth observer to participate in various UN forums.